Parmesan Eggplant Fritters (Gluten Free) with Yogurt Pepper Jelly Sauce
Recipe by Educational Chef Paola Villafane
Demonstrated at Decatur Farmers Market on September 27, 2017
- Eggplant (Snapfinger Farm, Mealor Family Gardens)
- 1 egg (Local Lands)
- Cornmeal (Riverview Farms)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- vegetable oil
- Plain greek yogurt (Formaggio, Atlanta Fresh Creamery)
- Pepper jelly (Dragonfly Designs Studio)
- Slice eggplant into thin discs. Set aside.
- Prepare two bowls; one with enough egg for desired amount of fritters, the other with cornmeal, Parmesan, salt, and pepper (salt and pepper to taste, 1 part Parmesan to 3 parts cornmeal) example: 1/3 cup Parmesan to 1 cup cornmeal.
- Lay out a clean cutting board/plate for the battered eggplant slices. Proceed with dipping the slices first into the egg and then into the cornmeal mixture.
- Toss slices in the cornmeal mixture until fully coated. Lay battered slices on cutting board/plate side by side before frying.
- Heat 1 cup of cooking oil in a frying pan until hot, when a drop of flour instantly creates bubbles.
- Gently fry the eggplant slices until golden brown on both sides, 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and drain excess oil by layering plate with a paper towel.
- In a separate bowl, combine greek yogurt and pepper jelly, to taste. 8. Dollop a small amount onto each slice/fritter or use the fritter has a chip and dip away!