Fall Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes
Recipe by Educational Chef Julia of Stop Think Chew
Demonstrated at Decatur Farmers Market on October 7, 2017
- 1 Sweet Potato from Jody’s Farm
- 5 Fingerling Potatoes
- 1 Jonagold Apple
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Farm Fresh Egg (Jody’s Farm)
- 1/4 cup of flour of your choice (optional)
- 1/4 Avocado Oil for frying (preferably use a high heat oil like avo oil)
- Salt + Pepper to Taste
- In a large mixing bowl, grate your sweet potato, fingerlings and apple together
- In a separate bowl, crack 1 egg and beat well
- Add egg to mixture and stir, slowly add in the cinnamon, salt, pepper, and flour if using
- Turn the stove to high heat and coat the bottom of the pan with oil, wait about 1 minute for oil to get hot.
- Carefully place large table spoons of mix into the oil with a spatula.
- Look for crisping edges before you flip, they will be a nice golden brown.
- Cook for 3 minutes on the opposite side and remove from oil onto a brown paper bag or paper towel to cool.
- Repeat until you have used the entire mix- double the quantities for larger batches.
*You can serve plain, with Chai Spiced Jelly, apple sauce, or a dollop of Greek Yogurt.