Roasted Roots & Blanched Beans with Cumin Vinaigrette
Recipe by Chef Liz Crawshaw
Demonstrated at Decatur Farmers Market on June 3, 2017
- 1 lb Carrots from King of Crops @ $6
- 3 bunches (12 small, individual) Beets from Partnership Farm @ $6
- 1 lb Green Beans from Jody’s Farm @ $3
- 1 bunch fresh Parsley from Jody’s Farm @ $2
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Cup Olive or Safflower Oil
- 1 Tsp freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds (toasted in a dry pan & then pulverized)
- 1/4 Cup Feta Cheese
- 1 Tsp Salt, & Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Squeeze of local honey
- Optional: 1 TBSP finely chopped fresh Mint
For the Cumin Vinaigrette (The recipe makes 3/4 cup and the vinaigrette will last 10 days in the fridge):
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry pan until color deepens and seeds become aromatic. Grind into a powder using a mortar and pestle (or a coffee grinder). 2.
- Place the Dijon mustard in a bowl and whisk in the olive oil, then the lemon juice and the sherry vinegar. 3.
- Add the cumin and the mint, if desired. Season with salt & pepper to taste. (May sweeten further with a drizzle of honey).
For the Roasted Roots & Blanched Beans:
- Wash and dry all vegetables. Trim the tops from the carrots leaving half an inch of green. Wash and save the tops for garnish, if desired. Cut off the beet leaves in the same way. Trim the pointy ends off the beans.
- Bring a large pot of water to a vigorous boil, add 1/2 tsp of salt, then the carrots. Blanch for 1 minute and remove to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Once cool, remove and set aside.
- Blanch the beans in the same way, then toss with vinaigrette and set aside.
- Place the beets in a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil, add the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt, and simmer until the beets are tender, 5-10 minutes (test with a fork). Strain the beets and peel them using paper towels to rub off the skin. This is easier when they are still warm.
- Toss the whole carrots with a little safflower oil and place them in a single layer on your preheated grill pan. Grill on medium/high heat, turning occasionally, for 5-10 minutes until skin begins to dimple, shrink & deepen in color. Set aside.
- Slice each beet into 3-4 slices about a 1/2 inch thick and toss with a little safflower oil. Repeat the grilling process and set aside.
- In separate bowls, toss the grilled carrots and beets with 1 TBSP each of the cumin vinaigrette and a handful of chopped parsley. Plate with the beans and garnish with crumbled feta and extra parsley. Carrots may be sliced in half lengthwise and beans may be cut into 1 inch segments on the diagonal for ease of presentation.