Herbed Rice and Cornbread Stuffing
Recipe by Educational Chef Mercedes Melendez
Demonstrated at East Atlanta Village Farmers Market on November 18, 2017
- 3 cups of dry cubed or crumbled cornbread
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or wild rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp safflower or sunflower oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped radishes
- ½ cup chopped turnips
- ½ cup chopped radish and turnip greens
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground celery seed
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 1 tsp finely chopped oregano leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped sage leaves
- Sauté the onion, radishes, and turnips in oil until lightly browned and translucent (about 3-5 minutes)
- Then add in the greens, chives, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, ground celery seed, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute more.
- Once the mixture has become fragrant add in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil then immediately reduce to a simmer. Combine the cornbread and rice with the stock, turning to
ensure even absorption.
- Continue to heat on low until all the moisture has been soaked into the cornbread and rice. Serve immediately or, if desired, bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees in a lightly greased casserole dish for 20 minutes.