Chili Rubbed Pork Carnitas
Recipe by Paola Villafane
Demonstrated at Decatur Farmers Market on July 19, 2017
- 2 1/2 lbs pork shoulder, 2 inch cubes (Riverview Farms)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced (Local Lands)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled (Riverview Farms)
- a splash of orange juice
- a splash of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Thaw meat and cut into cubes.
- Mix chili powder, pepper, salt, and cumin together in a small bowl. Rub spice mixture onto pork.
- In a medium sized pot (oven safe is recommended), add the pork and the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until all the liquid has evaporated (fat will be left behind). Remove from heat and separate pork from fat.
- While the pork is simmering, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place pork into an oven safe dish if it is not already in one. Pour 1/4 cup of the fat/drippings over the meat. Place in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Serve with tortillas and salsa for tacos.
Our at-market educational chef demos are made possible by the generous support of Les Dames d’Escoffier International – Atlanta Chapter and Piedmont Healthcare.