Basil Melon and Pear Salad
Recipe by Educational Chef, Mercedes Melendez
Demonstrated at Grant Park Farmers Market on August 12, 2018
- Canary Melon from Rag & Frass ($4)
- Holy Basil from Freewheel Farm ($3)
- Purple Basil from Cosmos Organics Farm ($3)
- White Balsamic Vinegar from Strippagio
- Golden Asian Pears from Middle Georgia Growers Co-op ($15)
- Peel the rind of one canary melon, cut in half to remove the seeds, then chop the flesh into small dice sized pieces and add to a large bowl.
- Chop six ripe golden Asian pears, removing the stem and seeds, and add the melon (I chose to keep the skin on, but it can be removed to preference.
- Using half a bunch each of holy basil and purple basil, remove the leaves from the stem and chop fine.
- Add the chopped basil as well as 1/2 cup of white balsamic vinegar to the chopped fruit and toss.
Serve immediately or allow to chill in the fridge before serving. Excellent alone as a fruit salad, but also works great as an accent to a bubbly drink, as a topping for sorbet, or frozen and blended.