Tulsi Herbal Tea
Recipe by Educational Chef Andrea Blanton
Demonstrated at Grant Park Farmers Market on September 24, 2017
- Tulsi (Holy Basil) dried – Hearthfire Farm & Nursery
Or use fresh herbs – Freewheel Farms
Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum) or Tulsi is only distantly related to culinary basil. It is a revered plant with many different medicinal properties used widely for thousands of years. When consumed as tea, tulsi tea has an energizing, stress reducing and anti inflammatory effect.
For fresh leaf tea:
- Pick 10 to 15 holy basil leaves, plus other desired herbs
- Add the basil leaves to 1½ cups of water
- Boil for 10 minutes and strain
- Add milk or honey to taste
From dried leaf tea:
- Use tea ball, reusable pouch or other tea steeper, and fill with dried tea leaves.
- Boil 2 cups of water and place tea pouch into cup or mug for five minutes.
- Add milk or honey to taste.