Recipe by Paola Villafane
Demonstrated at the Decatur Farmers Market on Wednesday, July 27, 2016
- 3 pounds leg of lamb, bone-in (Four Bellies Farm)
- 6 cloves garlic (Local Lands)
- 2 pounds small potatoes (King of Crops)
- 2 medium sweet onions (Local Lands)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon mustard spice
- 1 lemon
- Mince garlic.
- Make shallow, diagonal cuts on both sides of the lamb leg. Rub minced garlic all over the meat and tuck into cuts.
- Tuck rosemary sprigs into cuts.
- Pour olive oil on meat. Season meat with salt, pepper and mustard spice.
- Squeeze juice of one lemon over the leg.
- Let lamb marinate in the fridge at least 30 minutes or at most overnight. Bring lamb to room temperature before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. To roast, set up two racks in the oven and place a baking dish on the bottom rack to catch drippings.
- Slice potatoes into one-inch thick chunks. Slice onions into half-inch strips. Put potatoes and onions into one pan and lamb leg into another, and set side-by-side in the oven.
- Roast leg for one hour and 45 minutes, or until fragrant and cooked through. Roast potatoes and onions for at least one hour, or until they can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove leg of lamb and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Carve and serve on a bed of potatoes and onions.