Recipe by Dani San Filippo
Demonstrated at the Decatur Farmers Market on Wednesday, April 23, 2016. This recipe works best in spring or fall when hakureis are in season. In the fall, when apples are also in season, add peeled, chopped apples to the poaching turnips about five minutes in to make them soft and delicious.
- 2 bunches hakurei turnips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Half-pound mild breakfast sausage (Tink’s)
- Remove the greens from turnips. Trim and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Chop turnips in quarters or halves, depending on size. Place in a wide, shallow pan (like a wok) with olive oil. Cover halfway with water, then add honey over the top.
- Cover turnips and poach 10 to 15 minutes to desired softness over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage until browned and crumbled. Don’t overcook it, but keep it warm.
- Once turnips are cooked through, add in chopped turnip greens. Stir until greens are wilted and bright green.
- Serve turnips over greens with crumbled sausage on top. For a vegan meal, omit the sausage.