Recipe by Chef Dani
Demonstrated at the Decatur Farmers Market on June 4, 2016
Photo by Chef Carolyn Ladd
- 6 Lbs. produce—kohlrabi, cucumbers, onions, radishes, carrots, beans, etc.—select crisp veggies and have fun with it! Slice up to whatever size you desire.
- 1 1/4 Cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup organic sugar
- 2 Tablespoons salt (preferably kosher)—Beautiful Briny Sea mushroom salt used for this recipe
- 1 bay leaf per pickle jar
- 2 Tablespoons spices/seeds—whole peppercorn, celery seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, and dill seeds all work. Mix and match to your liking, have fun with it!
- Boil jars and lids in hot water for 5-10 minutes or use jars just out of dishwasher. You can also use tupperware containers just out of the dishwasher.
- Meanwhile, boil water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices/seeds and stir until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Pack veggies tightly in jars, but leave a bit of headspace at the top.
(usually you will keep each type of veggie separate from the other to enhance their individual flavors, but you can also make a “party pack” and throw each type of veggie you are using in the jar! Again, have fun with it!)
- Pour brine over top of veggies, enough to cover. Some veggies may float to the top, that’s ok. Marinate overnight for maximum flavor but at least 2hrs to get that briny, pickley taste 😉