Root Vegetable Pastelillos
Recipe by Chef Paola Villafane
Demonstrated at Decatur Farmers Market on February 22, 2017
- One large rutabaga — Jody’s Farm
- Two medium carrots — Jody’s Farm
- Three medium beets — Local Lands
- Oliver Farms Pecan oil
- Salt and pepper
- Frozen empanadas rounds
- Cooking oil
- Peel and chop vegetables into small pieces.
- Heat small pan with 3 tablespoons of pecan oil to medium heat
- Cook vegetables until soft, about 15 minutes. Spice with oregano, salt, and pepper to taste. In the meantime, defrost empanada rounds.
- Remove vegetables from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove one round from the package and place onto a flat surface. Place a heavy tablespoon of veggies onto the center of the round. Fold round in half. Using a fork, press edges together. Repeat on both sides.
- Heat cooking oil to frying temperatures, when testing, pastry should bubble when dipped in oil.
- Fry until both sides are light brown and crispy.