Pink-eyed Pea Stew with Toast
Recipe by Paola Villafane
Demonstrated at Decatur Farmers Market on November 9, 2016
- One pound of pink eyed peas (Local Lands)
- Five medium carrots (King of Crops)
- Two Cubanello peppers (Local Lands)
- One medium tomato (Mealor Family Gardens)
- One garlic clove chopped and submerged in olive oil, set aside (Mealor Family Gardens)
- Handful of kale (Local Lands)
- Ground sage
- Ground paprika
- Fill pot with 2 1/2 cups of water or broth. Boil peas in pot with salt and pepper, to taste, for 15 minutes.
- While peas are cooking, chop vegetables: carrots into slim rounds, dice peppers, slice tomato, slice kale
- Add carrots to pot and cook for 10 more minutes
- Add peppers to pot and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Once liquid in the pot has reduced to below the pea’s level, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and mix. Let cook for 5 min.
- While stew is cooking, in a sauté pan add sliced kale and cook for 3 minutes, continuously mixing. Add small amount of oil from garlic oil mix to taste.
- Add a dash of both sage and paprika to kale. Cook and mix for 2 more minutes.
- Add kale to stew.
- Serve hot with toasted bread