Peanut Butter Protein Bites
Recipe by Chef Liz Crawshaw
Demonstrated at Decatur Farmers Market – Saturday on April 29, 2017
- 2/3 cup Sourwood Honey – Bee Wild, $15.00/12 oz,
- 1 cup Crunchy Peanut Butter – Georgia Grinders, $5.00/jar
- Fresh Strawberries – Watsonia Farms, $5/quart
- 2 cups oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes,
- 2/3 cup ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup cacao powder OR 1/2 cup cacao nibs,
- 2 TBSP chia seeds
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 Tsp ground cardamom
- pinch of espresso infused with salt if desired
- Place all dry ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well (a wooden spoon or spatula works well for this part).
- Add vanilla extract and honey to dry ingredients; stir well to mix.
- Then, incorporate the peanut butter with as even distribution as possible to avoid clumps of peanut butter. The mixture should begin to stick together and form one large ball.
- Cover with plastic and place in fridge for 20-30 minutes to chill. (This will make it much easier to roll mixture into balls).
- Remove from fridge and using your hands, roll mixture into large marble-sized balls.
- Slice strawberries and use as a garnish to achieve that PB&J flavor effect.
This recipe will make 30-40 balls depending on desired size. The Peanut Butter Protein Bites store well in both the fridge and freezer, and are a quick, nutrient-dense, post-exercise snack to keep to hand. Ingredients can be easily adapted according to preference. Experiment with other nut butters, sweeteners, spice blends, and superfood powders, like maca or acai powder.