Kale Salad with Sweet Potatoes, Beets, and Apples
This lovely fall recipe comes to us from Chef Kate Christman of Three Squares Kitchen, who made this at our Decatur Farmers Market recently. You can find all of the produce in the recipe at markets right now, and you can find Kate regularly at our Wednesday afternoon market!
- 1 large bunch kale, ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet potato, grated
- 1 – 2 beets, grated
- 1 – 2 apples grated
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried figs, sliced or cranberries
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Freshly grated ginger, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Whisk together honey, shallot, vinegar, ginger, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and then sweet potato.
- Sprinkle with salt and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes, until potato begins to lose its starchiness.
- Place kale in a large salad bowl and and sprinkle with salt and remaining olive oil.
- Massage oil into kale until it becomes tender. Add sweet potato, beets, apples, pecans, dried fruit, and dressing. Toss to combine. Enjoy!