Recipe by Nick Leahy of Saltyard
Demonstrated at the Ponce City Farmers Market on May 31, 2016
- Green Beans from Grant Wallace Farm
- Zucchini from Grant Wallace Farm
- Carrots from Truly Living Well
- Cauliflower from Cosmos Organics
- Kohlrabi from Cosmos Organics
- Spring Onions from Scharko Farms
- Baby Fennel
- Housemade Guanciale from Riverview Farms Pork
- 1 cup of Blanched Farro
- 1 quart of Chicken Stock
- Salt for Water
- ‘Mater Salt for Seasoning – Tomato Leaves Ground with Salt (Optional)
- Fried Quinoa for Garnish (Optional)
- Boil cauliflower in water, garlic and buttermilk until tender. Puree and set aside.
- Render the guanciale in a hot pan. While this is rendering, chop all vegetables to a uniform size. Then add them to the pan after guanciale has rendered out some liquid.
- Sautee until vegetables are slightly caramelized, season as you go with ‘mater salt or regular salt.
- Add blanched farro and baby fennel, stir until mixed in.
- Add stock to cover, season again, then add green beans and zucchini.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and simmer until thickened.
- Fold in cauliflower puree, then plate and garnish with raw sliced carrots and crispy quinoa.