Recipe by Thaddeus Keefe, 1Kept
Demonstrated at the Westside Farmers Market on Sunday, July 24, 2016. This recipe also works well with watermelon rinds, peaches, okra, cauliflower and many other things!
- 5 pounds cucumbers (Little Fox Farm)
- Half yellow onion (Local Lands)
- Quarter-cup kosher salt
- 25 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 to 12 celery leaves
- 6 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- Quarter teaspoon ground turmeric
- Cut vegetables to desired thickness.
- Fill canning jars with vegetables, leaving a half-inch of space from the top of the jar.
- Combine white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard seed, red pepper flakes, celery leaves, allspice berries, cloves and turmeric in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Carefully ladle the pickling liquid into the jars. Cap jars and turn upside down.
- Let jars cool for two hours, then refrigerate. These pickles will keep in your refrigerator for one year.