Blueberry, Basil, Goats Cheese & Walnut Fresh Pasta Salad with Sautéed Squash
Recipe by Chef Liz Crawshaw
Demonstrated at Decatur Farmers Market on June 17, 2017
- Fresh Blueberries (washed) from Mealor Family Gardens @ $7/pint
- 2 x Small Yellow Squash from Jody’s Farm @ $1
- 1 x Bunch of Fresh Basil from Jody’s Farm @ $2
- 1.5 – 2 lbs Fresh Farfalle Pasta from Rampasta @ $5/ 1/2lb
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 3/4 cup Goats Cheese Crumbles
- 2-4 TBSP Crushed Walnuts
- 1 Tsp Honey
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 TBSP Ghee (for sautéing squash)
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
For the Vinaigrette:
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and dijon mustard until they emulsify (bind together). Add the Italian seasoning and crush a few blueberries to infuse in the vinaigrette as you set aside.
For the pasta:
- Dice Squash and sauté with ghee in frying pan on medium heat until just softened. Season with salt and pepper, and spoon into a medium bowl.
- Roughly chop the basil and walnuts, and mix together with the blueberries and a little honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 3 cups water and 1 cup stock in a large saucepan. Once boiling, add a pinch of salt and the fresh pasta. Stir briefly and then remove to a colander after 3 minutes of cooking time. Rinse with cool water, drain, and add to the bowl with the squash.
- Gently toss pasta and squash with some of the vinaigrette. Carefully plate pasta and squash and top with the blueberry, walnut, basil mixture. Then, add the goats cheese crumbles and drizzle the whole dish with additional vinaigrette as desired.
Enjoy on a warm summer’s day!